Monday, February 24, 2014

birthday resolutions

My lower back has been a nightmare the past few weeks. When one thinks things are on the up they quickly do a 180 and smack you down. Nothing like a major mental challenge.

While the low points are low nothing has been as low as the morning of the 14th when I was shoveling some heavy [typical] new england snow and made a minute movement which wound up sending pain through my body severe enough to make me collapse onto the ground in tears. Just when I thought I was climbing out of the Feb 5th injury I dig myself six feet deeper.

The rest of that morning consisted of me laying on my back barely able to make the slightest movements. Lots of pondering of how it has come to this. After a few hours and some anti-inflammatory I was able to move again and quickly went to work on my own version of PT. By late afternoon I could walk again and move around the house. The only catch this time was I now had constant nerve pain down my right leg whereas prior to that morning the nerve pain was just about gone from the Feb 5th injury.
One of my forms of PT: rolling around on a softball

A week later I convinced my doctor and insurance company to issue an MRI. Tomorrow (25th) I see the doc to discuss the MRI findings and what the going forward plan to recovery is. I doubt there will be surgery as I've regained most of my range of motion on my own but what still concerns me is the constant nerve firing down my leg and the lack of strength in the glute and hamstring muscles as a result. I figure once I get rid of the nerve firing I can get into the gym, more yoga and PT of some sort. That'll be my road to recovery.

So, as I turn 35 I've come up with a way of life for this year:
(a page out of Peter's book)

This should get me back in shape and the last two items are just major things we need to accomplish this year.
Another form of PT: walking

Next up is a detailed explanation of my new bike I got last year. How it came to be. What is so awesome about it. blagh blagh blagh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home