Wednesday, January 14, 2009

don't cross those skis

We opted to go cross country skiing tonight rather than mountain biking since the woods are all snow-covered. A nice 2hrs of trying to figure out how to cross country ski (never done it before). Borrowed equipment from 'Shred and Glenn. Thanks guys.

When borrowing equipment you're always at the mercy of what is provided: one or two sizes too large in the boots and poles a tad too long. I made the best of what I had.

Well, the whole evening was interesting to say the least. I learned how to alpine ski back in '01-'02. Was only on the snow for about an hour or so at that time but picked up parallel turns and such. Being an avid snowboarder it took me a bit this evening to get use to my legs wanting to go in different directions. Crossed my skis a few times. Once that was figured out things seemed pretty good.

After about half an hour or so I figured out the basics. Had a nice rhythm on the flats and rolling terrain. Struggled a bit on the inclines. Still don't know if my struggling going uphill was my form, too large boots or the skis themselves. Lets blame it on my form for argument's sake. I realized late in the game that forward momentum is your friend. Without this I had trouble getting up some of the steeper inclines.

The descents were quite exciting. I remembered how to edge with skis and used that to control speed. Don't lean back. Leaning back is your enemy. Naturally, I went down a few times but overall I felt I did quite well. Think I'll do alright when I eventually learn how to telemark ski (something I want to do someday).

Coming up on 2hrs of skiing my feet started bothering me. Guess the large boots weren't helping since I felt like all my ski control was going through my toes rather than the ball of my foot.

So, if you know of any cross country ski equipment for sale let me know. I would like to do more of if this winter. Boot size is around a euro 47.
Thanks!

1 Comments:

Blogger micro1985 said...

Today.

I establish bicycle-related blog.

Would you link to my blog by all means?

http://bicycle-hillclimb-machine.blogspot.com/

In addition, I come to look.

thankyou

1/15/2009 4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home