Monday, December 29, 2008

mt mitchell

I wanted to keep on riding south on the Blue Ridge Parkway Christmas Day but knew I had to turn around to get back to the house in a reasonable amount of time (3-4hrs). Mainly because I was running out of light. Well, on the 27th I drove down to where I had to turn around (around milepost 347) and kept on riding south from there. Turned out to be a day chock full of climbing. Over 3,000 vertical feet. I rode about 2.5hrs uphill (mostly standing up thanks to my 40x20 gear ratio) and about 45mins descending.

Wound up climbing to the summit of Mt Mitchell. Now I have ridden to the summit of both the tallest mountains on the east coast: Mt. Mitchell and Mount Washington in 2005.

Great day despite the fog and humidity and wind up on Mt Mitchell. Felt great riding so I'm stoked.








When the weather is nice you can see the summit from here...




and on up the mountain....


Weather is clearing as we keep going up..


Hot Water Music was playing






Made it! 6684ft above sea level.




The road I just climbed..





And then the ride back down to find my car...

1 Comments:

Blogger F.W. Adams said...

Congratulations and nice pics. What's next--perhaps come conquer the Wild Wild West? ;o)

Peace and Happy New year!
---
www.singlespeedrevolution.com
Ride One or Ride None!

12/30/2008 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home