Tuesday, November 13, 2012

progress

Six weeks ago [tomorrow] I did this. Today I saw my orthopedic doctor for my 6 week post-op check up.

X-Rays look great. My bones are still aligned and have begun to fuse back together. Bone positioning within the ankle joint looks good too.

Foot/Ankle range of motion is slowly increasing and movement of the ankle joint feels good. (I've been spelling out my alphabet to exercise my ankle.)

Dr. Burton is pleased with what he sees.

He has given me the green light to start weight bearing of my right leg, learn how to walk again and begin physical therapy. I will admit, I have been cheating some and have already started some weight bearing and walking but I have to be very careful. There is always that risk of rolling the ankle and blowing all of the past six weeks to smithereens.

So, for now, time to take things easy and very slowly come back to normal life. I've read anywhere from 10 to 12 weeks for full bone growth recovery so we have to be careful probably through the end of the year to be safe. Not sure when I can get back on a bike. I'm hoping in a week or so I can start pedaling my road bike on my trainer with light resistance and probably platform pedals (the act of rotating my ankle/feet to clip out of my pedals still scares me). I start physical therapy on Thursday so we'll see what my therapist suggests.



The morning that I hurt myself [six weeks ago] Ginger and I were also just beginning to think about what we wanted to do for our Honeymoon.
Coincidence? 

I think not.
Well, last night we booked our trip. We are going to Alaska! I can't wait. Always wanted to go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home