Tuesday, October 12, 2010

lights, camera

revolution!

That was actually my first Suicidal Tendencies album I bought. Their discography goes back to 1983. A lot of the punk and hardcore bands I listen to still play today and have been playing together since around the time I was born. Take Bad Religion for example. I first got into them when they came out with 'Recipe for Hate' in 1993. They've been playing since, officially, 1979. Shortly after getting into Bad Religion my friend James got me into the Descendents.

The best part about it is that both Greg Graffin from Bad Religion and Milo Aukerman from Descendents are college professors with Milo being a biochemist. Being a college professor was always something I wanted to do. The problem with that is I will most likely never get there. Organized school and I do not get along well. Kind of strange given I design some fairly complex pieces of rotating machinery for a living, huh? Well, I am not good in academia. I am more suited in applications where there are more structured channels to produce an outcome. Give me a problem and I will find a practical solution. Some say academia and myself being a professor would get along but I do not see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps in the distant future, a future where I can not see where my next step a few inches ahead of me will be.

Perhaps I need some light?

Yes, It is that time of the year again. Time to break out the lights. Since I plan on getting a new helmet later this winter to replace the new one I bought in June which, ultimately, did its job a few short weeks after taking receipt of it, I moved my light mount over to my existing Uvex helmet. A helmet I've been riding with for, gasp, three seasons next month.

Behold.. my masterpiece.


Why is the mount so far back on the helmet?

That, my friends, is an ingenious method that the Dougherty brothers informed me about years ago. The light is positioned further back to help keep your head balanced.



Ergonomic!

See, these HID headlights (yes, still rockin' the HID from 2001) are quite heavy and when they are mounted up on front of your helmet (intended mounting position). One uses more of your neck muscles to keep your head upright with such a heavy object hanging off the front of the helmet. Placing the light in the center of the helmet places it directly above your spine while both allowing you to ride in a more relaxed position as well as make things much more balanced so you hardly notice the light is up on-top of your helmet.

In order to get the light in the proper direction the mount had to be modified. Enter two V-brake pads.



What are V-brake pads?

Really? Did you just ask that question?

I used to love my Shimano XTR V-brakes. Best thing going even when Hayes has their HFX disc brakes out. If you have a mountain bike with rim brakes then run the XTR V-brakes. I think they even still manufacture them.

The V-Brake pads are zip-tied to the mount. The mount's straps are looped through the helmet but due to the hole positioning I needed to prevent the light from sliding forward and backward. Enter two more zip ties that loop through the hole in the top of the helmet. Bingo. The light isn't going anywhere now.

With the upcoming cool weather coming its also time to break out the woolies.


Tomorrow night we're riding. The superfly is back together so we'll refrain from shifting tomorrow.




Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger rideTYRANT.com said...

Love the Face to Face!

11/01/2010 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home