Sunday, June 07, 2009

broken frame

Went out for a four hour ride today with Sean, Emile, Scott and Frank from Bethel Cycle. About an hour into the ride I noticed a lot of noise with the 29er. Thought the waterbottle cage was loose so I stopped to check that out.

Nope. Bottle cage is fine. Back on the bike and I'm riding along. Next time I stood up I felt the rear wheel hit the frame. Hmm. That is not supposed to happen. Try it again and the wheel moved again. Hmm. What is wrong with my wheel?

Famous last words as I caught back up the gang.

"I think my rear wheel is messed up."

Upon closer inspection we realized I broke my driveside chainstay into two! Its actually the drop-out itself. The chainstay and welds are still in tact.



Ugh oh! We were at one of the furthest points of our ride.

Little trail-side Macgyver action with some duct tape, zip ties, tire lever and 5mm allen wrench and we're back rolling.. Enough to get back to the car.





Except for some sloppy tracking the bike was pretty rideable. I was impressed with our fix and stoked to be able to ride out rather than walk for many hours.

Well.... Walking was in store. Sean decided to take us on a 'shortcut' but that wound up being a straight up climb for over 30mins. Needless to say they weren't happy but my La Ruta legs came back and I just kept on trucking up that climb with my bike on my shoulder.


The natives are restless!

1 Comments:

Blogger CB2 said...

Glad you were able to rig something up.
My pedal body decided it wasn't happy residing on the pedal spindle on Sunday which led to an interesting ride home.

6/08/2009 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home