Sunday, July 31, 2005

more racing

Had another race today. Super technical and it was pretty f'n hot. 3 laps, 21miles and about 2hours 50mins of pure hell. They sent us out as one big group -- Expert 19+. Must have been close to 40 of us. I got a good start but paid for it before lap one was finished. I broke my front shifter on the first lap. Halfway through the first lap I went over the handlebars and knocked the rear brake lever/shifter loose. Halfway through the 2nd lap I couldn't shift anymore 'cause every time i went to push on the brake lever to shift the whole unit would move in the bars. Luckily I caught someone watching and borrowed their allen wrench to fix it.

Then I cramped big time... paying for the fast 1st lap. I was then in survival mode and determined to finish the race rather than DNF. Three miles to go in the last lap every muscle in my thighs and calves cramped. I was laying on the side of the trail helpless and it fucking hurt. Haven't cramped that bad since a race in college. 15mins or so later I was able to walk (sort of) and very slowly and carefully rode to the finish line. It was my determination to finish that kept me going.

Think I finished 29th overall and 7th in my age group. There were 3 other people behind me overall and then the rest DNF'd (probably about 8 or so DNF'd). As much as it was a very painful race the resultant standings are still pretty decent.

Now I am paying for it though. My legs still hurt and I've been trying to sleep for a couple of hours now but only toss and turn. I hope I can sleep for I have another busy work week ahead of me.

That is partially why I physically didn't feel good during today's race. Those 15hour days last week are catching up to me regardless of how much I slept Friday night and all day Saturday. Fucking stress. It kills you and you don't even know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home